f GizGadg: eStarling - Update

Sunday, December 24, 2006

eStarling - Update

Sorry for the delayed update on this - I'm in Seattle for Christmas, and was traveling all day yesterday (and trying to fininsh up @ work the day before, what fun!)

After using the eStarling for a couple of days:

  • As some have pointed out, the antenna on top isn't the most aesthetically pleasing thing in the world. I personally didn't have a issue with it, as I LIKE high-tech looking things, but be warned (see pics on the original post).
  • The "eStarling" logo on the front also isn't the best - It's big. LOUD. Wish they would get rid of it - I'm tempted to try to paint over it.
  • While I haven't had any problems getting the networking set up, others have - they finally opened a forum where you can get help on setting it up.
  • I've had some problems getting both gmail and the flickr rss to work. I THINK the main issue is it can take a while for it to update the photos - as in, 12 hours between gmail reads. Which is a HUGE issue to me - if I send to gmail, this sucker should be showing the photo within minutes of it going to the address.
  • I have yet to figure out how to set my own POP e-mail up - anyone know how? I sent a e-mail to their tech support, but got a wierd e-mail back that appeared to be answering some other problem...
  • On power-on, I've had it come up a couple of times and say it couldn't connect to the internet. Had to unplug, plug back in to get it to sync up.

I was planning on giving my parents the frame for Christmas - I am now giving them a printed page from thinkgeek, and will be giving them the frame in a week or two when I have it working. They are not technical, and I'm not going to have them try to get it working! I still like it a lot - the loading from the web page works, and my flickr stream DID show up, just took a while to do so.

To me, the biggest issue is still the inability to set up the device without the web site - the whole reason I like the eStarling is that I don't have to subscribe to a service - use my own e-mail, fickr, et al. But this part doesn't seem to be that smooth yet - I have to use their web site, and the amount of time to update anything but from their site just sucks.

I still LIKE the frame, I just think they have some issues to address.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

REMOVING eStarling Logo
I used a MR Clean magic Eraser Extra Power ( http://www.mrclean.com/sites/en_US/mrclean/products/eraser_extra_power.shtml ) to successfully remove the eStarling Logo. When doing it be carful only to remove the logo. After the logo is removed the outer frame area will looked "buffed" so use the eraser on the entire frame. It is not perfect, but it looks a lot better. Use at your own Risk.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what also works well with removing logos and such on plastics is normal nail polish remover. comes right off, sometimes with a little love

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home